One of the biggest nuisances faced by pet owners is unwanted hair in their homes. Nearly every dog and cat – regardless of their age or breed – sheds. Some breeds have more hair or thicker undercoats and will shed in higher quantities, but virtually all dogs and cats will shed hair. While we cannot stop a dog or cat from shedding, we can help reduce the amount of loose hair and effectively remove the hair so it doesn’t create a problem in our homes.
Animals shed to get rid of old, damaged, or extra hair. Animals grow a heavy coat in the winter to help insulate themselves and then shed the extra hair in the summer. However, dogs will also shed broken or damaged hair, and if their skin is irritated from conditions such as allergies, they will also shed excessively. This article will give tips for keeping your dog’s skin and hair healthy to reduce shedding as well as effectively removing the hair.
Tips to Control Shedding
Brush your pet!
Regular, even daily, brushing is the best thing you can do to keep your home free of hair. Brushing will also make your pet’s coat softer, cleaner, and less likely to shed.
Feed an appropriate pet food.
A pet’s coat is often a reflection of what she eats. Feed a high-quality food with good, digestible protein sources.
Feed a fatty acid supplement like Omega-3 Fish Oil Liquid.
Giving Omega-3 Fish Oil Liquid to your dog keeps her coat healthy.
Cover your furniture and car seats.Upholstery is a magnet for pet hair, and removing pet hair from furniture or car seats can be a tedious task. If you allow pets on your furniture or bed, you would be wise to invest in a few furniture throws. Throws will keep your furniture looking (and smelling) better, and make your home more inviting to guests. Car seat covers are also an excellent investment and are highly recommended.
Control allergies and fleas.
See your veterinarian make sure your pet is getting proper allergy relief. To prevent itching and scratching from fleas, use Frontline Plus Flea and Tick Control for Dogs and Puppies or PetArmor Plus to prevent and control infestations.
Be diligent in your vacuuming efforts. Frequent vacuuming is the best way to keep your home hair free.
Bathe your dog occasionally during the summer.
A clean dog will have a healthier coat. A gentle Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats with Shea Butter, Aloe Vera, Chamomile once a week or so will clean without drying the skin and rejuvenate a lackluster hair coat
Have regular check-ups.
Many diseases can affect the skin and hair coat. Regular visits to your veterinarian will help identify problems early, and provide more effective treatment.
Use the right brush.
Slicker Brushes, Shedding Blades, Matbreakers and Love Gloves each have a specific function and work best on the type of coat they are designed for. Most pets need more than one type of brush to remove all of the dead hair.
Remove hair from upholstery and your dog’s bed as soon as possible.
Hair that is newly shed is easier to remove before it works its way into upholstery fabric. A ChomChom Roller – Dog Hair, Cat Hair, Pet Hair Remover is one of the best tools for removing hair.
Remember that routine brushing and grooming are an important part of every pet’s care. By paying attention to your pet’s diet and following these tips, you can significantly reduce the amount of pet hair in your home, on your furniture, and in your car.
TOP SUPPLEMENTS AND CHEWABLES
- A complete solution for reducing shedding with essential fatty acids
- Improves the health of your dog’s skin and coat
- A daily nutritional supplement for skin and coat health
- Fortified with zinc and antioxidants
- A delicious taste your dog will love
- Stops excess shedding, itching, scratching, and can even help with flea allergy dermatitis
- Scientifically designed for better, faster absorption so the product gets to work more quickly
- Lipiderm Fish Oil Softgels for Skin and Coat, Large Dogs, 120 count
- Reduces shedding with flaxseed, vitamin D-3, vitamin B-12, and other essentials
- Chewable tab is easy to give and easy for your dog to digest
- Dogs love the beef and cheese flavor
- From the American Kennel Club, the nation’s leading authority on dogs
- Contains a veterinarian-recommended blend of natural oils, herbs, minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins
BEST SHAMPOOS TO REDUCE SHEDDING
- Select ingredients infuse your dog’s coat with essential nutrients and moisture as you wash
- Exfoliates and moisturizes at the same time
- Contains vitamins and proteins to strengthen your pet’s coat and reduce shedding naturally
- Non-drying, non-irritating, and hypoallergenic
- Used and recommended by vets
- Use this after Furminator deShedding Shampoo for double the results
- Releases your dog’s undercoat during bathing to reduce shedding later
- No artificial colors or dyes